Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Requiem - Book Review

GoodReads


This review contains spoilers!!!

I spent all day yesterday reading Requiem. I have loved every bit of this series. I couldn't wait to get my hands on this final book. 

Synopsis from GoodReads:

They have tried to squeeze us out, to stamp us into the past.
But we are still here.
And there are more of us every day.
Now an active member of the resistance, Lena has been transformed. The nascent rebellion that was under way in Pandemonium has ignited into an all-out revolution in Requiem, and Lena is at the center of the fight.
After rescuing Julian from a death sentence, Lena and her friends fled to the Wilds. But the Wilds are no longer a safe haven—pockets of rebellion have opened throughout the country, and the government cannot deny the existence of Invalids. Regulators now infiltrate the borderlands to stamp out the rebels, and as Lena navigates the increasingly dangerous terrain, her best friend, Hana, lives a safe, loveless life in Portland as the fiancĂ©e of the young mayor.
Maybe we are driven crazy by our feelings.
Maybe love is a disease, and we would be better off without it.
But we have chosen a different road.
And in the end, that is the point of escaping the cure: We are free to choose.
We are even free to choose the wrong thing.
Requiem is told from both Lena’s and Hana’s points of view. The two girls live side by side in a world that divides them until, at last, their stories converge.

I was glued to this book, turning every page (clicking since I was reading on my kindle?) in anticipation. I love the way Lauren writes. The book just flows so smoothly from one chapter to the next. Every chapter bringing Lena and Hana closer together.  Her writing just feels real to me, like it could really happen.

I felt Hana's fear as she begins to realize that Fred isn't who she thought he was.
I was filled with so much happiness when Lena is finally reunited with her mom and later with Grace.
I was scared but also excited when Lena and Hana collide in the book. 
I understood Lena's confusion about Alex and Julian.

The book was fantastic...
Except for one thing.
A conclusion.

When I read that last sentence I was angry. I didn't like the ending. I need to know what happened! Who does she choose? What happens after the wall gets torn down? Does she find Hana again? Can they be friends? I have so many questions. I feel like the ending wasn't an ending. I guess this way you can imagine whatever you want. 

I imagine she chooses Alex.

She reunites with Hana again. Hana's cure didn't seem to work all that well so maybe they can still be friends?

I don't know what happens to Julian... He falls in love with someone else I suppose. Sorry I'm just team Alex.

They find away for the cureds and uncureds to live together. 

I just want a happy ending =)

I gave the book 4 stars on GoodReads because although I loved the book I was really mad at the ending. I was waiting this whole time for a conclusion and wasn't given one. I'm still pretty angry about it. Last night my husband had a good laugh at my expense while I ranted about the not so final ending of the book. 






1 comment:

  1. ok i have to admit I didn't read this post, but ONLY because i have heard so much about this series lately that i am taking it as a sign that I need to start reading it! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...