Friday, March 8, 2013

Needles EEK!... ARE scarier than labor!

I absolutely hate needles. When we got our flu shots I made Joey take Noah out of the room when it was my turn. How can you tell your child to be brave when you are about to be a giant baby about it? I know it's never as bad as I think it's going to be. It's the anticipation! Joey once laughed a LOT at my expense when I was very sick. The nurse told me I had to get a shot ON MY BUTT! I begged and pleaded with her. I tried to convince her that I wasn't really THAT sick. If only Noah knew that his mom acted this way. The one that assures him that it will be a quick pinch and then be over with. That shots are sometimes needed to help us feel better or to prevent us from getting sick. I'm sure he'd probably have a good laugh at me too.

I had my lab work done today at the hospital, just routine tests for pregnant women. The lady asked me if I was okay with having blood drawn. Um no! I don't think anyone takes pleasure in having a needle jabbed in their arm and their blood taken from them. I said, "No problem!"
 Liar liar pants on fire! I kept thinking:
Think about kitties and puppies!
Try to do math in your head...math is hard...I hate math
Sing a song. Not out loud though.
Why can't I have done the urine sample first?
Maybe I can leave and come back tomorrow?

Lucky for me I have great veins. It was over pretty quickly but she took SIX...SIX big vials of blood from me. I don't know why they needed so much but every time she switched to a new tube I cried a little inside.
I guess she could tell I was having a hard time. She told me that when I have the baby and get my IV I can ask them to use a kid kit. I will definitely do that!!!

I'm already worrying about that day. You would think I would be scared of the pain associated with the labor and delivery process.
But no...
I'm more afraid of the IV and an epidural is out of the question!
When I had Noah I did not get an epidural. Not because I didn't want one. Every time I started to think okay maybe I can't take this anymore I need an epidural visions of that giant needle danced in front of my eyes. Nope never mind! I'll pass!
When I finally really did give in and begged for one it was way too late and I couldn't get it. I'm actually hoping that happens again... I know. I'm crazy. The thought of getting one makes my skin crawl. I wish I could say my choice not to ask for one this time stems from not doing it last time and wanting childbirth to be as natural as possible. That would be a lie. It's because I am more afraid of a needle than I am of insane body shattering contractions and pushing a human (hopefully a VERY small human) out of me.

Needles are not my friend!

4 comments:

  1. I did the exact same thing with my 1st I was more scared of ebidural and wanted it and was to late well with #2,#3, and #4 I did the epidural it was a breeze! You will never see the needle and it didn't even hurt more than an ant bite and labor was so easy. Best wishes to you and good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope it goes as smoothly as possible. Just thinking about an epidural makes me nervous. I'm glad to know it wasn't too painful for you! If I end up getting it I know that just like with a shot or having blood drawn it won't be as bad as I think it will be.

      Delete
  2. Honestly, since we had natural childbirth the first time, it makes it easier because you already know what to expect. You have to admit, part of the pain of childbirth is the fear that it could get worse. I remember feeling that anyway. This one will most likely go faster and you'll be more prepared. Don't worry too much about the needle. You can do it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are not alone I absolutely hate needles and think I would be the same as you and go through the pain instead of having to see the needle! You poor thing, if only they could come up with a better way to do it :(

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...