Thursday, August 29, 2013

School Assigned Reading - The Book Chat

Photobucket

I think the first time I was given a book by a teacher and told, "You will read this. You will be tested on it. You will write a paper." was in seventh grade. From that day I ENJOYED school reading. I was given books that I had never heard of before. New worlds were opened up to me. I loved reading at home before then but didn't really realize how many different genres of books were out there.

I have always been the student that actually reads the book. When asked if I was prepared for the test my reply was, "Of course! I read the cliff notes!" My reply should have been, "Yes I am! I read every word in that book. My highlighters mark the pages. My study guide is complete with detailed answers. My note cards are many." No one actually READ the books. I couldn't be a READER... And so while many of my classmates were home probably watching tv I was snuggled up with those lovely books.

Some of my favorites were:



So did you enjoy school reading? What were your favorites?

6 comments:

  1. haha I was one of your classmates, that rarely read the books but did read the cliff notes, oops!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are some of my favorites, as well. I also loved Of Mice and Men.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just like that too! Until we had to read Uncle Tom's Cabin in HS. That was the only book I've every cracked the Cliff Notes for. I had a lot of friends who watched the movie instead of reading the book and it was so fun to watch the movie with them and say "That's not what happened in the book." And I may or may not have fibbed a time or to on that truth depending on my mood :0

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love 1984! I think I read Animal Farm, too, but I really can't remember it. I'll have to reread that one some day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read one or two of those in school. Several others on my own. Never heard of Hatchet and know I read one of the Bronte books I don't remember which one and that's because it just wasn't my cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The only book I read from that list was To Kill a Mockingbird. You seem to have really enjoyed your school reading! I wasn't as crazy about mine. I did enjoy TKAM, Lord of the Flies (though a bit freaky at the time) and night, which was definitely my favorite!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...