Friday, August 30, 2013

Just the three of us


Three. That has been our number for a very long time. Almost 8 years. Technically we are already a family of four. Until Emily is born though it's hard to imagine what it will be like when we REALLY go from three to four. I don't worry that I'll have enough love to spread around but I do worry about time. It already feels like some days I'm always telling Noah, "In a minute, We can do it later, or I'm busy." I heard him tell the dog the other day, "Don't worry if mommy can't play with you all the time after Emily comes home. She still loves you just as much. Babies just need a lot of help." While I was glad that he remembered that information from his sibling class and felt it was important enough to share it with Bella it made me a little sad.

I keep thinking back to when we brought Noah home. Those first few days are a giant blur of coffee, crying (me & him), and quick cat naps. I was lucky if I had time to eat and shower. How will I find time to help with homework? Will there be time to just sit and read on the couch together? Will we even make it to soccer practice?!? I know all of these things will work themselves out but still I worry.

Noah has been the center of our world for so long. He's going to have to share a lot of us with her. He understands that we will have to do a lot for her. I don't really know how he will adjust to the change. So far he likes the idea of having a baby sister...I'm unsure of how the reality of it will play out. I don't want him to feel jealous, sad, or left out. I'm going to do everything I can to make sure its an easy transition for him.

Our days as three are numbered. As excited as I am to meet Emily and find out what kind of person she is, I'm going to hold onto these last few weeks as three. I'm going to enjoy each one... even the ones when he drives me absolutely insane.

2 comments:

  1. I think this feeling is SO normal, honestly, and it was bound to hit you eventually. It's easier said than done, but DON'T WORRY. You love your entire family the same & the moment Emily arrives, it'll be like she was never NOT there. Noah seems like such a good kid, and you've been through this before so it'll be different now that you have the experience under your belt. Family of four... How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. o my gosh I remember feeling the same way before Reese came along, but as soon as she was here, it was like, boom we are 4 now! Emily will fit in perfectly and you'll barely remember life without her! :)

    That is so so sweet that Noah said that to the dog!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...