Wednesday, July 24, 2013
Hold the phone!
I check my phone a lot... a LOT. I use my phone for everything. Joey teases my about it all the time. The only time I actually sit down at the computer is right now when I'm blogging. I check my social media accounts with my phone. I read blogs on it. I use Pinterest on it. I shop on it. Of course I text on it too.
Yesterday I noticed my right thumb was hurting a bit. THEN I noticed that as I held my phone in my hand thumb poised to do some scrolling it was shaking some. My thumb that is. Not the phone. Weird!
It's called "text thumb". Who knew there was such a thing? There are splints you can wear and exercises you can do such as:
In your texting hand: -
• Tap each finger with the thumb of the same hand. Repeat x 5
• Pull your thumb firmly with the other hand. Repeat x 5
• Wrap an elastic band around the tips of fingers and thumb and open your hand against the resistance. Repeat x 20
• Palms down wrap an elastic band around each thumb and force apart. Repeat x 20
• Tap the palm and back of your hand on your thigh as quickly as you can. Repeat x 20
• Massage thumb web, back of forearm and front of forearm. 2 minutes.
• Press and rub in a circular motion the painful nodules in those muscles. 30 seconds for each nodule.
• Reach up high with both arms and shake your hands. Reach down low with both arms and shake. Repeat x 3.
How odd... I wonder if this is an injury that qualifies you too call in sick for work.
"Sorry but I've got text thumb. Gotta stay home and do my rehabilitation exercises."
It's funny but not funny. It does hurt...BUT I did it to myself.
Maybe I'll check the phone a little less from now on....